Posted on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 by Lolo_Librarian
It's Banned Books Week, which means we are celebrating the freedom to read! Over the years, many books have been "challenged" for a variety of reasons - ranging from the understandable to the completely ridiculous (although I suppose it's all subjective). According to the American Library Association, the top 10 silliest reasons people have challenged a book are as follows... and if there are any titles here you haven't read yet, maybe now is a good time?
10. “Encourages children to break dishes so they won’t have to dry them.”
9. “It caused a wave of rapes.”
8. “If there is a possibility that something might be controversial, then why not eliminate it?”
7. “(Title character) was ‘living in sin’ with Jane.”
6. “It is a real ‘downer.’”
5. “The basket carried by (title character) contained a bottle of wine, which condones the use of alcohol.”