How do I verify my current address?

Written address verification needs to be provided when applying for a new card, renewing an existing card, or changing an address.

The following are acceptable forms of address verification for adults (18 and over):

  • Driver's License with current address*
  • DMV I.D. Card with current address*
  • Current utility or phone bill
  • Current bank or credit card bill/statement
  • Property tax bill showing name and address
  • Current insurance card or policy showing address
  • Current car registration that shows name and address
  • Current rental agreement that shows name and address
  • Current paycheck or paystub that shows name and address
  • Current W-2 form
  • Documentation showing proof of status as a foreign exchange student
  • Report card or transcript from current school year that shows name and address

For children, we will accept any of the above, as well as the following:

  • Current, postmarked mail addressed to the child
  • Mail or property tax bill in the parent's name, if surnames match

*A DMV change of address card or the new address written on the back of the license is NOT acceptable because the library has no way of verifying the new address on file with the DMV.


Who is eligible to receive a free, full access Santa Clara County Library card?

Cards are free to anyone who owns property or lives in the unincorporated area of Santa Clara County or in one of the following nine cities: Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill or Saratoga. 

Your postal mailing address is not a reliable indicator of your eligibility for a free, full access card. Residence in the Library District will be determined by the Tax Rate Area listing for your property on the Santa Clara County Assessor's Office website. The Tax Rate Area listing must include "Area No. 01 (Library Services)” under County Service, which indicates that the property is part of the Santa Clara County Library District.

Volunteers who live outside of the Library District and who work 60 or more hours for the library in the previous year are eligible for free, full access cards.

What about students who live outside the district but attend a school inside the district?

Students in pre-school through 12th grade who fall into this category are eligible for a free, limited access student card which allows them to check out up to five items at any one time and have holds on two items at a time. Applicants must show proof of student status with school affiliation or live in an eligible public school district. See the list of eligible public schools or the private school list on our website at Student cards are valid for one year from the date of issuance or renewal.

What does a non-district resident library card cost?

Full access cards are available for a non-refundable fee of $80 and are valid for one year from the date of purchase.

How do I pay for a card?

You may pay the $80 by check, cash or credit/debit card.  It is not possible to purchase a card on an installment plan.

May I share my library card with others?

Yes, you may choose to allow other family members or other individuals to use your library card. We still require that one person be responsible for the account and all activity on it. That person would also retain the privacy rights associated with the card.

How many items may I borrow on the card?

There is a limit of 20 children’s DVDs and 20 DVDs from the adult collections. Up to 100 items may be borrowed on a card at any one time. A total of five items may be borrowed on a Student card.

Will I be able to use the library computers without buying a card?

Yes. You may purchase a two-hour session for $4 even if you do not have a library card.

What about wireless?

The Library offers free wireless access. Printing from wireless requires a library card or a computer guest pass you have purchased for the day.

How do I determine whether I live in the Santa Clara County Library District?

A clerk at any of our libraries can help you determine if you live in the district. Or you may call us at 1-800-286-1991, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.