I enter my library card number and PIN, and then the online resource or eBook asks for a username/ID and password, OR says I am not authorized, OR says that I need to return to my library's website, OR shows me an eBook's table of contents only.
Many of the online resources have certain technical requirements for authentication. You may need to make changes to your browser security settings (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.) and personal firewall (Norton Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, etc.). One or more of the following settings may need to be changed for that browser session:
- Adjust firewall settings
- Be able to accept cookies
- Netscape users: Smart Download option must be disabled
- Turn off pop-up blockers
- Change settings on your privacy filter, spam filter, or spyware software
- Change privacy settings on toolbars installed on your web browser
- Set your personal firewall to allow cookies, allow mobile code, or allow scripting for both the library's remote authentication address AND the individual database's web address.
- If you receive an error message when trying to connect to a ProQuest database, such as Safari Tech Books Online, please visit the ProQuest's troubleshooting website by clicking here and here (older version).
- If you receive an error message when trying to connect to an Ebsco database, please visit Ebsco's troubleshooting website by clicking here.
The library's online articles must be accessed through the library website and not as bookmarked links.
Some problems are solved when you open a browser window, delete temporary Internet files and cookies, close your browser window, open a new browser window, refresh the page, and then go to our website to access the online article. The temporary Internet files and cookies can often be deleted by going to the Tools menu in your browser and clicking on Internet Options.
It is difficult to address every computer configuration. These are basic settings that may cause problems accessing the online articles. If you are unable to access our online articles after changing these computer settings, please contact your local library or fill out our Contact Support form.